Organic production should use 100 % organic protein in 2025, but the availability of organic protein is limited.
Mussel meal can replace other less sustainable protein-rich ingredients, in particular fishmeal, in the diets of organic pigs and layers. Furthermore, mussels can lessen water eutrophication by uptake of nitrogen and phos-phorus.
• Mussels are harvested from nutrient-rich water before maturation.
• Mussels are deshelled by boiling, dried and processed into meal with approximately 60 % crude protein.
• Mussel meal is included in the diet at a maximum 8% in layer hen diets to avoid off flavour in eggs.
• No maximum inclusion rate has been established in piglets.
• Diets can be optimised for essential amino acid requirements and will often include less crude protein.